The Headwaters Parade of Horses has been recognized provincially and nationally for tourism innovation and excellence.
The Headwaters Parade of Horses was an innovative undertaking utilizing 27 life-size fiberglass horses as the canvas for a public art project in anticipation of the arrival of thousands of visitors to the equestrian events of the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games.
The project engaged over 45 artisans, as well as patrons of the arts, business and community champions to pique the interest of visitors in the region’s equestrian tourism product. The life-size canvases became innovative “wayfinding signage” that encouraged extended length of stay and encouraged exploration of the ancillary tourism offerings available across the 2,534 square kilometre rural region of Ontario.
OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THE HEADWATERS PARADE OF HORSES
Given the overwhelming success of the project, Headwaters Tourism will accept expressions of interest on an annual basis for businesses, organizations or community groups to purchase a horse “canvas”, and transform the horse through artistry, with the ultimate goal of being accepted as part of the “Parade”.
2017 deadline for submissions: April 30th, 2017
Cost to participate: $4,000 + hst – includes purchase and transportation of an unfinished “horse canvas” to a location within the Headwaters Horse Country region (anywhere in the Town of Caledon, Town of Erin, Dufferin Country or King Township). Purchase price also includes standard statue signage that will be provided to purchaser (and must be displayed with the horse) once project is complete.
Expressions of interest MUST include the following information in order to be considered:
- A completed registration form, including registrant details (individual or group), an outline of intent for the project,and a short overview of why you would like to be part of the program.
- In order to be considered for inclusion as an official horse in the Parade of Horses, purchaser must agree to the following conditions:
- adhering to all technical specifications for painting, including proper use of recommended paint, and top coat (as outlined in specifications provided to the purchaser)
- that horse will be showcased in a location that is accessible to the public
- that the horse will be mounted in a permanent concrete foundation (as outlined in the specifications provided to the purchaser)
- that the horse will be painted in a professional manner, in keeping with the standards of the entire Parade of Horses
- that the project be completed within one (1) year of delivery of horse to purchaser
- that the horse will remain in the Headwaters region, in the approved permanent location, for a minimum of 2 years after completion.
By submitting an expression of interest, each entrant agrees to the criteria and warrants their entry complies with the requirements set out in the criteria.
Once expression of interest has been accepted by Headwaters Tourism, purchaser must submit a 50% deposit at time of acceptance, with the final payment due upon delivery of horse.
Promotional materials for the Parade of Horses will be updated on an annual basis, to ensure inclusion of any new entries.
To submit an expression of interest, or for further information, please contact Michele Harris, Executive Director, Headwaters Tourism (519-942-0314, ext 201)